Sunday, January 22, 2006

Flaming Lips


The new Flaming Lips single is called 'the W.A.N.D.' and it's the first introduction to the new FLIPS album 'At War With The Mystics'. Do Copenhagen has a link to hear it, or buy it from iTunes or your favourite online mp3 store. It's only available online.

The WAND is a pretty stunning single, from the opening hand claps through to the blasting riff of prog-rock buzz guitar, and then the mysterious lyrics which appear to reference the war in Iraq, but frankly, who knows. Fantastic - it's gotta be heard!

The new album is due out in April and will apparently come with a DVD featuring extra tracks and videos. Apparently it won't include 'You gotta hold on', although the video for that is available at www.them5.com - and there will be a proper single out in March, called the 'Yeah Yeah Yeah Song'.

A few more tracks from Mystics have now emerged, and I Guess I'm Floating has some including YYY - which is mad, bad and half brilliant, Wayne Coyne meets Brian Wilson circ Smile via Archies-style Power Pop. I love it in bits, although more in my head than in my heart at the moment. The other Floating Track is Free Radicals, which is more proggy in the vein of WAND, but has a pretty great funk feel to the vocals and sounds pretty damn great to me.

The full track listing for is:

"Yeah Yeah Yeah Song" "Free Radicals" "The Sound Of Failure/It's Dark... Is It
Always This Dark??" "My Cosmic Autumn Rebellion" "Vein Of Stars" "The Wizard
Turns On..." "It Overtakes Me/The Stars Are So Big, I am So Small... Do I Stand
A Chance?" "Mr. Ambulance Driver" "Haven't Got A Clue" "The W.A.N.D." "Pompeii Am Gotterdammerung" "Goin' On"